STARTING : 20h00, Tuesday 01 June
CULMINATING: 18h00 - 20h00, Wednesday 02 June
VENUE: Department of International Relations and Cooperation (460 Soutpansberg Road, Rietondale, Pretoria)
CONTACT: email@example.com / 082 660 0723 / 084 211 9988
At 04:30 on Monday, 31 May 2010, in international waters, Israeli navy commandos invaded an international humanitarian aid boat, the Mavi Marmara, which was part of an aid flotilla travelling to the Gaza Strip. The troops fired on unarmed civilians, killing at least 19 aid workers and injuring dozens more. A range of South African civil society organizations have expressed outrage at this latest Israeli attack, which yet again reflects Israel’s arrogant and flagrant disregard for international law and human rights. A full media statement is attached.
Join the 24 hour solidarity vigil to mourn the loss of those murdered on their humanitarian aid mission and to lend our support to the South African Department of International Relations and Cooperation’s position that it will not leave this latest act of provocation on the part of Israel unresolved (http://www.dfa.gov.za/docs/2010/isra0531.html), and most importantly that they will ensure an end to the illegal Israeli siege on the Gaza Strip.
We call on all South Africans to spare even a few moments to join the solidarity vigil outside the Department’s offices in Pretoria. Further details on scheduled solidarity activities to follow.
DIRECTIONS FROM JHB
- Travel North on M1
- Continue on the M1 which becomes the N1
- Continue on the N1 which becomes the N14
- Continue on the N14 which becomes Potgieter Street
- Turn Right, at twelfth robot, into Struben Street
- Continue on Struben street which becomes Edmond Street
- Turn Left, at eighth robot, into Beatrix Street
- Turn Right,at second robot, into Soutpansberg Road
- DIRCO complex will be on your right hand side.